We invite you to join us on this adventure with Christian and other religious mystics, contemplatives, and teachers who have traveled along the margins of the ordinary, the world of the mundane and the world of the spirit, where all things are made whole. We can learn from the deepest experiences of their lives, as well as from our own lives, perhaps finding ourselves at an important threshold of a new world of spiritual nourishment.
Within a facilitated small group over a two-year period, we will journey through deep and diverse spiritual typography in our weekly readings and listening, shared reflection, and contemplation. While the Christian tradition will be our first and longest path, we will take some time to visit with wisdom teachers from many of the world’s great religions as well.
Though this has been a well-traveled path over centuries, it remains an uncommon one in today’s world. The journey will require an open heart, open mind and something of a spiritual longing. The teachings we will encounter have a legacy of awakening and transforming people, resulting in a shift of their way of seeing and being in the world.
- There are currently two groups in progress. The next group will be offered in September 2021, with applications available the summer before.
- Each group size is limited to 8 participants, plus two mentors.
- Meetings are weekly in-person or via Zoom depending on who is enrolled and any precautions in place.
- After an orientation, the group meets weekly for two years following a tradtional school calendar with Fall and Spring semesters and a summer break.
- Each participant will prepare for weekly meetings by completing reading or listening assignments and spending time for reﬂection and journaling for group sharing during class.
- There is also a summer reading assignment with discussion and sharing at the beginning of the second year.
- Contemplative practices of prayer and silence will be introduced and incorporated into group time. Participants are asked to commit to a regular contemplative practice of their choosing.
1 Community. Enrollment is not exclusive to the All Saints’ Church community or the Corpus Christi, Texas area: however, a connection to a spiritual community wherever you live is most helpful for this experience.
2 Creating space for spiritual friendship. Let us gather with intention and an open, kind and generous heart to share in creating a group dynamic where spiritual friendships are nourished.
3 Claim your priorities. This 2-year exploration requires your commitment of time and energy. Claiming this as a priority has the power to be life-giving and life changing for you – and for your fellow pathﬁnders.
The course fee is $35 each year, after your acceptance, due at the beginning of each fall semester, to help cover administrative costs. Participants are also responsible for purchasing the assigned books on their own – approximately 15 books over the two year period (estimating a total cost of about $325 for new books). Partial scholarships are available by request.
Deep Shift is an ongoing offering of The Academy of Spiritual Formation at All Saints’ Episcopal Church, Corpus Christi. A steering committee provides long-term oversight and planning for Deep Shift curriculum and facilitators. A new group will be offered each year, beginning in September. Current Steering members include Debbie Dunham, Gayle Gottlich, Jan Hilton, Pam McDowell, John Otto and the Rev. Jonathan Wickham.